Saturday 15 February 2014

Paris: What to do on rainy days 2.0

Since February behaves like he changed his name to April we all enjoy the mixed and unfriendly weather which brings a lot of beautiful rain. So I came to the conclusion that my sequel is more than neccessary. These are...

8* things to do on rainy days

1. Sleeping

You can never sleep too much. Napping is the best way to spend time without even noticing. What's positive about this is that you can dream about the weirdest shit ever (and remember it - like me).

My tip: A power nap should be not longer than 20 min. Because if not it becomes a "Oh, f*ck I spent all day in bed and did nothing at all"-nap


"Die Welt schaut rauf zu meinem Fenster. Mit müden Augen, ganz staubig und grau."

2. Decorating your home

The circumstances and the surroundings in which you are leading your daily life are underrated, I think. People are creatures of habit. They cope with things and just "let it be". But hey, sometimes it's easy to change something, and make it all better and more enjoyable. So your "vie quotidienne" (= daily life, welcome to another episode of "Learning French with Lotta") can be easier and happier. 
That's Art, bitches.
Like I bought this "thing to put your washed dishes on" for 2,50 € at a Swedish furniture warehouse and it literally makes me happy everyday. Or my 10 €-Toaster. 

My tip: Hang up things on your walls that make you smile or that you find cool (like my collection of random bw-photos I continued from the girl who used to live in my room before me).
I also recommend pictures children painted for you in the kindergarten. They're awesome. 



3. Practising something


Some people, including me, always complain about how untalented and bad they are at things. Instead of taking time to just sit down and practise that sh*t they want to "be able to do"...like an instrument. Who got me the idea?




My tip: Hopefully the thing you want to practise is an indoor activity...



4. Going to the movies


There's never nothing good on the schedule. And is there anything better than going through the tension of a thrilling movie while there's an "orage" (= thunderstorm) outside? Or cuddling under the blanket and watching "love actually" for the 100st time while there's soft rain dripping against the windows?  

Sometimes the weather is the best excuse to have a lazy couch potato-day with crisps and chocolate. 
For Gretchen it's hard to choose ...



My tip: Invite someone over to watch with you. For example, I love watching that German soap with two of my girl-homies which is all about love, misunderstandings and the weight problems of a female doctor in her thirties. (It has the suitable name Doctor's Diary). It's our wednesday evening date now ;).

Other recent series addictions I'm starting to develop: "Adventure Time" (a crazy comic fairytale-world with Finn  & Jake) and "Awkward." (a not so new MTV series I just discovered, I love Jenna's character and I'm clearly Team Matty!)

C'mon, grab your friends, We'll go to very distant Lands... With Jake the Dog, And Finn the Human
- the adventures will never eeend. It's Adventure Time!


My cinema tip: If you're living in Paris for a longer period and L O V E movies & cinema, get the UGC illimité (=unlimited) card. For a single person it's 20€, for two about 35€ per month. It's a cinema flatrate for all UGC and MK2 movie theatres and even 3D is free. (consider that watching one Hollywood-movie in cinema costs 11€...)
Guess who has one?



5. Going out anyway 

In Paris, rain boots of this kind are considered "cool"
these days. I'm not on the style wave, I guess
Get your rain coat, your rain boots (if you have some, I don't own any since preschool ;)) and an umbrella. In French it's "parapluie" and I'm kind of in love with that word Y. Like Owen Wilson in "Midnight in Paris" says: Paris is the best when it's raining. And how to figure out if he's right or not without trying? 

My tip: Don't go to the most romantic parc of Paris (Buttes Chaumont) when you're alone and listening to ballads on your iPod. It's not beautiful. It's just pretty depressing. 



If you like to have body contact to strangers, go on the first days.


6. Shopping  & Stuff

From the beginning of January until last week, we had the "Soldes" (=Sales) in Paris (WSV in Germany) where you get 30-70% off the regular prize. 

My tip: Mango has 50% on EVERYTHING. 




7. Doing the household

The tip I like to avoid the with all means of procrastination. Washing the left-over dishes, cleaning the shower & the toilet, vacuum-cleaning your carpet, doing the laundry... Hey that strangely resembles my "To Do"-list...



8. Cultural Experiences

In the last "post about rain" I mentioned 2 out of all museums in Paris. A growing list of all museums I visited by now is in progress and will be posted soon (with my personal views on why they're cool or lame) somewhere on this blog. For now, just open any travel guide and get some comfortable shoes to "diggin' some cultural stuff, dude".


"Le musée des Arts décoratifs" is very cool. It's like the not-so-crowded relaxed neighbour of the Louvre.
Check it out some time.

Peace out and enjoy the rain !









*Why 8? Because the bad weather feels like an eternity to go through...


No comments:

Post a Comment