Wednesday 13 November 2013

Paris: 6* Things I fell in love with at first sight

1. The store opening hours

"My" supermarket just round the corner is a "Dia%". Expect for Sunday it is open from 9 to 9 every day. The limit at our local village supermarket Edeka was 8 pm. And Dia isn't the only one. Franprix is even open on sundays and Monoprix doesn't close before "minuit" (midnight) everyday. I'm still excited about this fact. Foremost when I run out of milk on a Saturday night. 
My theory: The more expensive the products, the longer the opening hours


Dia, I LOVE YOU.

2. Baguette

I eat it with EVERYTHING. For "petit-déjeuner" (= breakfast) with nutella in the morning, with the "repas" (= lunch) on midday, and with cheese and ham for "dîner" (= guess what?). On a perfect day. No, really I don't know I could live without it all these years... Maybe that's the reason I never got fat.
My theory: The saying: "Eating like God in France" was only invented because of baguette.

3. My "Pass Navigo"
I have a PassNavigo "Découverte"
because it's easier & faster to make 

A one-way ticket for the "metropolitain", the subway in Paris costs 1,70 €. The "Pass Navigo" is  65,50 € per month. It's a kind of magnetic card (like a credit card) you hold against a reader to get into a metro station. The Windows calculator just told me that you have to use the metro about 39 times a month for the Pass Navigo to be profitable. I use it at least twice a day: To go to work and back. So, it's worth it. Mainly, because my employer pays me half of its prize back.
It's very handy to have one, because by metro you ca get anywhere in Paris and you can use it for the RER on week-ends to travel to the "outer areas" (where you find Versailles, or more important: IKEA - just kidding).

My theory: If I hadn't one, I'd probably spend about 200€ for the metro every month - or I'd be much fitter because I would walk more distances 



4. My neighbourhood, the "Marais"

I find my quarter (le quatrieme,4e) to be just the best mix of, on the one hand, expensive boutiques of "noone-ever-heard-of-them-but-they-look-fancy-and-precious" designers, skaterstores (carhartt, SUPRA, cheap monday), cute but high-cost cafés and "Brasseries" (bistros to have a wine and a snack), hipster vintage shops like Kilo Shop: 69-71 Rue de la Verrerie, 75004 Paris, Factory Vintage: 139 Rue Saint-Martin, 75004 (pics and descriptionor Vintage Bar16 Rue de la Verrerie, 75004 Paris - to name just a few, where you can actually buy old used jute bags with German writing on them, like "Müllers Gurken sind die besten" oder "Meine Bank ist die BW-Bank". Can be pretty amusing, because most of the French people running around with them don't get the meaning.
And on the other hand the interesting and very "Paris-like" architecture of the old "Hôtels" and the lovely parks,streets and elegant design shops for art, furniture or decoration. Furthermore, the Jewish influence in the "Rue de Rosiers" shows the origins of the quarter.

My recommendation: There are very hot guys around my neighbourhood. But whenever you see two of them, make sure to check if they're holding hands. Because the Marais is also very famous for being one of the most "gay-friendly" quarters of Paris ;) Except for the good-looking taken gay boys, i love that fact: It gives the neighbourhood even more charm and interesting things to discover.

For example, look at all these sweet dicks to eat... (That sounded wrong, didn't it?)
Find them at: "LeGayChoc", 45 Rue Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie, 75004 Paris



You can also combine "hipsterness", your dislike towards the
discrimination against homosexuals AND a nice walk in the park

5. The park "Jardin des Plantes"

I finally found the perfect place to go jogging and alongside enjoying a feeling of being in beautiful nature. 
My theory: The loveliest park in Paris to promenade in autumn 


Jardin des Plantes how it's looking now. More wonderful nature pics on: lesphotosdepatrice.blogspot.fr




6. The special light in Paris

There is this kind of different light in Paris on some days. It has like a "cool warmth" if this is even possible... On days like these I just love being outside and I'd love to have a good camera and be a good enough photographer to catch these magical moments. But they are rare. And I don't always have a camera with me. Too bad.
My theory: The clouds always shine a little pale pink at night. I think it's the reflection of the lights  of the houses where love is made at the moment. :D


Place de la Bastille, in October 2013













*Why 6 again? Because ... just happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment