Wednesday 20 November 2013

Paris: What to do on rainy days 1.0*

Paris + Sunshine = A hundred times better 

But sometimes, you can't choose, and it doesn't help to curse the weather gods or your boss, it just rains.

There are tons of museums (and exhibitions) in Paris worth a visit. My personal favourite (foremost, because it's right around the corner) is the "Centre Pompidou". Interesting temporal exhibtions of talented artists (like the one of pop art icon Roy Lichtenstein which has just ended on the 4th of November) complete the permanent exhibitions and the PBI (Public Library of Information; I mentioned the queuing in front of it) with its enormous collection of media. 

The best: Like all state-owned museums it's free for members of the European Union until the age of 26. 

So if you don't like it: "Pas grave" (no problem/ don't worry). The same applies to the world famous Louvre where you can admire .... a big crowd of tourists trying to take of photo of the most celebrated smile in the world. But if you are interested in Arts of the Renaissance, the enlightment and all other ages, the "Louvre" is a place to spend more than just a day (I'm sorry, I'm a philistine - I only like modern art). 

My tip: Go downstairs in the basement, there are nice, well-planned exhibitions which aren't as crowded as the popular ones. And enter the museum through the "metro entry" (station: M° Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre ). Bring a credit card to avoid queuing, because there are ticket machines nowadays.

And these are only two of the possible museums you could visit. Maybe, you have enough money to relax in a café with good heating and good coffee. If this is the case, don't wait to do it (but take at least 3-5€ into account for a coffee - Damn it, but this is Paris!).  

But it wouldn't be me talking, if there wasn't a "Forever Alone"-alternative. Especially for days when you have to go to work in the morning and have only the afternoon left for activities (and to relax). So I'm just drinking tea, writing birthday postcards to my friend in Australia and my mum in Germany, cuddling with a blanket (because I don't have a bf) and trying not to have to stand up too often for going out in the cold dark stairway to go pee on the toilet. (This is Paris, too). Which is hard, because of the amount of tea and pineapple juice I'm consuming.

So, I like to spend my rainy days like this:



By Cindy Mangomini, as seen on hellogiggles.com






*Why 1.0? Because it's a rainy day and I just feel more like realxing and not much like writing. So there will be a sequel. Probably. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment