Tuesday 19 November 2013

Paris: 5* Things that are missing


1. Emotions

Yesterday, this random guy smiled at me. I was surprised but happy. Then he continued to talk on the phone. And I realized why I was surprised in the first place: People rarely show real emotions on the street and "in the outside world" like on public transport. I don't think it's very different from the cities I visited in Germany, but I find it sad. But right after that, I find myself pulling a long face in the metro just hoping to be ignored by everyone. Double standards? 
I'm sorry.
My theory: Fully applying song lyrics: "Die Stadt ist ne WG ohne Gemeinschaftsgeist." (=The city is like a flat share without team spirit) - Jede Stadt by Clueso


But sometimes life is just like: Take this rainbow, you look sad

2. Open-mindedness

Sometimes I imagine how the world would be if everyone was running around with signs showing your thoughts and feelings. Many "Parisiens" would have a sign saying: "I think I'm better than you" hanging on a wire around their neck. I guess I'd go for "Why do they stare at me this way? Do I still have the sauce from lunch in my face?". 
Sometimes you just want to socialize. But noone else around you does. I thought it was a stereotype of the Germans to be distant and cool to strangers...
My first theory: There's in fact  a sign on my forehead saying: "Don't talk to me, I'm GERMAN". But unfortunately, it's invisible for me.
My second theory: Once you've built up the social net around you, you hardly try to get out of it to meet new people. Why should you? It's warm & comfortable in there.

3. Opportunities to speak French

"Bonjour" (until 5 pm, then it turns to "Bonsoir"), "Merci" "pardon" "ça va" "pas de probleme" "désolée" "Bonne journée" "Au revoir" - ce sont les mots les plus utilisés par jour... Oh, I'm sorry I'm speaking French again. :D No, I'm just kidding.

But these words (basically everyone knows) really are the most used ones in day-to-day situations like going to the bakery or the supermarket, bumping into someone on the road or trying to make awkward small-talk with French colleagues or parents in front of the school. The chances to improve my language skills are rare (see 1. and 2.) because it's hard to get in contact with "natives". 
Please talk to me, Amnesty guys!
Story of my life: I'm so desperate, I let fundraisers for UNICEF, Amnesty International or advertisers from Subway approach me, just to be able to answer them in French. 
But hey, I actually met some pretty nice people - "hi Timothée from Amnesty, btw, you're a very nice guy!" even though I never have enough money to donate. Sorry.


4. Important staple food

Gosh, I never thought I would miss German (especially "Schwäbisches") food so hard. Spätzle, Maultaschen, Schnitzel, Dampfnudeln, Milchreis... I'm about to cry when I start thinking about all these delicious things. Okay, just... STOP. THINKING. ABOUT. IT. 

My tip: Open a good German restaurant in Paris - You're going to get rich as fuck!



Hey, Internet! How about: F*ck you? (blog.metanox.de)

5. Time

I don't want to complain about things (even if I do in 1.-4.). Man, I love being here. 
And time just passes too quickly.  I can't believe I've been here for almost three months now! It feels like two weeks... Or a life-time? 
My theory: This doesn't only apply to Paris, but time passes faster when you're happy. In contrast to that, all these annoying, noisy, headache-plus-bad-hair-days won't come to an end. Fuck my life.




It seems like summer vanished in a second.






*Why 5? Because I desperately need a high-five right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment